Sunday, October 27, 2013

Carolee's Gift

Carolee Patterson was one of my favorite teachers when I was in high school.

The only class I ever had with her as a teacher was a one semester Psychology class my senior year.  That was it. One semester.  But she was undoubtedly a hugh influence on me.

About four of us students and Mrs. Patterson started an "unofficial" after-school teacher-student club that met at a local hamburger place called Bingo's.  This club met once, sometimes twice, a week.  We would gather and discuss everything from politics to sports, music to movies, futures to pasts.  Mrs. Patterson was always instructing us in life's lessons.

We even got permission from her to wrap her trees in toilet paper once.  Yep, she actually gave us permission.  We picked a nice clear Friday night when nothing else was going on and proceeded to make the most amazing toilet paper draperies from her front yard trees.  We wanted to do it right.  Now I'm not sure if it just bad luck or if someone saw us and notified the police but, we were caught.  We couldn't decide if we should run or just take our punishment.  We stayed and told the truth: Mrs. Patterson gave us permission.  I'm sure the cop believed us but he let us continue and he went on his way.

Upon graduating from high school I received many, many gifts.  I remember a Cross pen with my name or initials engraved from someone.  I'm sure I got some towels.  But the one gift I really remember was from Mrs. Patterson.  It must have cost her a whoppin' 59 cents.  It was a 4 X 8 paper sign with a small metal hanger.  It read, "What you are is God's gift to you.  What you make of yourself is your gift to God."

Mrs. Patterson talked to me very seriously about my future the day she gave me that little placard.

I have kept that sign all these years.  It hung in my office the entire time I was a principal and superintendent. I often pointed to that sign to talk to students who had been sent to my office.  It really does seem to connect with kids.  I know it did with me.  Thank you Mrs. Patterson. Rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment